Ordering the metal bar stock – 26/05/13
Building the Prototype AMD Series Engines
26 May 2013
This month saw the start of the build for the prototypes of my engines. I started by ordering a large pack of metal bar stock from Noggin End Metals, which arrived in very short order.
I am building five prototype engines as follows, to test the design in its basic configurations:
- Engine 1. AMD5S, air cooled SOHC, glow ignition, lubricated by oil mixed with fuel
- Engine 2. AMD5S, water cooled, DOHC, spark ignition, oil pump
- Engine 3. AMD10S, air cooled SOHC, glow ignition, lubricated by oil mixed with fuel
- Engine 4. AMD10S, water cooled, DOHC, spark ignition, oil pump
- Engine 5. AMD20IL4, water cooled, DOHC, ignition method TBD.
Work started with cutting off blanks for the cylinder heads, cylinders and crankcase parts from a large bar of 2×2 aluminium alloy. I used the bandsaw for this. The next job was machining a datum face and edges onto these blanks using a fly cutter in the milling machine. It is vital to do this as accurately as possible as these will be used as references for all further machining operations.