Building the Prototype AMD Series Engines
1 July 2013
July has been dedicated to milling the blanks for the cylinders, crankcases and cylinder heads square and to size. This has been a long job as there are at least four lumps of alloy to each engine.
I have decided to make two cylinder heads for the 20cc IL4, one SOHC and one DOHC. I will try them both and see which works better.
The next jobs will be to start machining the details on the above parts, or to carve out the blanks for other main alloy parts like the crankshafts, cam boxes and so on.
As a reminder, I am building five prototype engines as follows, to test the design in its basic configurations:
- Engine 1. AMD5S, air cooled SOHC, glow ignition, lubricated by oil mixed with fuel
- Engine 2. AMD5S, water cooled, DOHC, spark ignition, oil pump
- Engine 3. AMD10S, air cooled SOHC, glow ignition, lubricated by oil mixed with fuel
- Engine 4. AMD10S, water cooled, DOHC, spark ignition, oil pump
- Engine 5. AMD20IL4, water cooled, DOHC, ignition method TBD.